Saturday, August 6, 2016

'round midnight...

For two whole days we mostly putzed: slept, read, talked to one another, watched French movies on Amazon and ate pasta with herbs from our garden. I practiced a few tunes on upright bass, too so that I am ready for tomorrow morning. But mostly we putzed - and as best I can tell from 48 hours of putzing, I need to do more of it! Apparently twelve hours of sleep each night agrees with me. So does talking and reading until way too late, sipping tea for breakfast and then pulling a few weeds.

Mary Oliver captures this reality in my life with her poem: "The Man Who Has Many Answers."

The man who has many answers
is often found
in the theaters of information
where he offers, graciously,
his deep findings.

While the man who has only questions,
to comfort himself, makes music.

Tomorrow at worship, we will mostly make music - to give shape and form to the questions - and the putzing. Such is the season, yes?

No comments:

Post a Comment